Re: Supercharger Answers

To: kmr@pil.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Supercharger Answers
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 22:19:43 EST
In a message dated 3/26/2001 2:28:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, kmr@pil.net
writes:

Kai,

Good points, but I'd like to add to them a bit.

Weight:  Adding 25 pounds is not bad, but removing 35 pounds is better.

Difficulty level: If it is truly a bolt on kit (and if you say it is, I
believe you), then it would indeed be easier, but I don't think by a factor
of 1000/1 though. Probably somewhere between 10 - 100 to 1, depending on
personal skill levels and experience. As far as I'm concerned, the "bolt-in"
factor (along with the ultra coolness of it) is enough to recommend the
supercharger. I still prefer the V8 though.

Performance: A 40 - 60 % increase is pretty healthy, but my Ford engine gives
a little over a 300 % increase. I will have a weight to power ratio of about
7.5lbs/HP - not too shabby!  If you really want to go there, a 450 % increase
is not hard to get. I rode in a 450HP Ford powered TR6 earlier this month -
awesome!  When he dropped the hammer, my head slammed back into the seat, and
my vision blurred!  Just a little more power would have been perfect ;-)

I'm not at all trying to discourage anyone from making the SC conversion - it
has a lot going for it - but I just wanted to make sure all the facts were on
the table before the decisions were made.

I also agree with you on one other point - I really should be in the garage
working on my car instead on sitting in front of this computer!

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas/
British V8 Newsletter:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm