Supercharger Answers

To: "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Supercharger Answers
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:36:21 -0500
Weight:    You're adding 25 extra pounds to your TR6.

Difficulty Level:    1000 times easier than engineering your own V8
conversion.  It's an afternoon job if you're lucky, and all day job if
you're not.

Performance:    No one has done a dyno run yet, which surprises me, but
based on various other cars you're probably looking at a 45% increase in
power using the low boost pulley, and 60% increase in power with the high
boost pulley.  I think I'm being conservative with my figures.  Toyota
manages a 62% increase in power on a stock 3.4L V6 using this same
displacement Eaton blower at 6psi.  The low boost pulley for the TR6
provides 6psi of boost at 3000RPM, and 9psi around 5000RPM.  Of course, a
header will do much to increase those figures as well.

Other:    The Eaton blowers you see on eBay are for OEM applications, they
are different than the ones used in this conversion.  For example the Eaton
M62 which fits 1992-1995 GM 3.8L V6s has a custom case to accommodate the GM
inlet manifold and throttle body.  The Eaton M62 for aftermarket
applications is generic enough so it can be used in a wide variety of
installations.  All the 62 refers to is the displacement of the blower (in
this case one liter).  The only thing the same between the OEM and
aftermarket blowers, I would think, are the rotors themselves and some of
the internal components.

How come no one had this interest in ordering more supercharger kits 2
months ago when there was a small discussion, I wanted ANOTHER one then...
but now I don't have the need.

BTW, budget another $1300 for the blower and bypass valve assembly and
another $300-450 for the carb.  And of course labour if you don't intend ot
install it yourself.

To me, the reason I went this route is because so far there are only 20 TR6
supercharger kits in the world from VIS and I have one.  Which makes me
extraordinarily cool at the club functions.  If you want to spend close to
$2500 to be cool, well then welcome to the club :)

Those considering this, I suggest you read this article on my website:

http://www.pil.net/~felix/supercharger/cobbold.html

and of course my photos and the installation photos on another TR6 at

http://www.pil.net/~felix/supercharger/

I think if I would spend more time paying attention to the motor on my
engine stand than writing emails I would be finished rebuilding it by now!

Kai