Re: re sepercharger

To: peterz@merak.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: re sepercharger
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 22:16:21 EST
In a message dated 3/26/2001 2:16:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
peterz@merak.com writes:

> With all due respect, unless you were kidding I have to disagree with some
> of your remarks. The SC on a TR6 motor is a bolt-on once you have all the
> parts according to all I've read about it so far. I would hardly call the
> installation of a Ford V8 a bolt-on process :-). I'll leave it to those who
> have done the SC upgrade to be more specific. However, I can't see how you
> could equate a bolt-on process which (some claim) takes a few hours to one
> which requires the removal of the original engine & gearbox and replacement
> with parts from another manufacturer. Including engine management system,
> wiring harness, steering column alterations, etc. Do you really think it's
> as easy?

Peter,

Yes, if it is truly a "bolt-on" conversion, then it would for sure be easier.
Unfortunately, many "bolt-on" kits aren't. Even if some of the necessary
items - brackets, hoses, etc, needed to be home built, it could still be
easier than a Ford conversion, but if there's a lot of fabrication and parts
sourcing, the difficulty level rises quickly. However, the installation of
the Ford is not nearly as difficult as it might appear. If I can do it,
ANYONE can do it. My conversion is taking a very long time to do, but that's
not because of the difficulty involved. It's taking a long time because a) I
am also doing a full frame off restoration at the same time, b) I am doing
virtually ALL of the work myself, with out the special tools a pro would
have, c) I am making mods to the car beyond what would really be required for
a simple engine swap, and, d) I am also involved in WAY too many other things
at the same time.

> The extra weight might be an issue but the TR6 is not a Lotus Elise in the
> handling department anyway. And, since it's installed on the passenger side,
> it might even cure those driver side sagging springs ;-).

I agree with you on the extra weight issue - 25, even 50, pounds extra on the
front is not really a problem. Even 100 pounds would still be acceptable.
Earlier this month, I got a chance to drive an MGB with a cast iron Buick 350
engine. I don't know how much that engine weighs, but I'm sure it's at least
100 pounds more than the MG engine, yet the car drove very well. For normal
street usage, I doubt that most folks would even notice the difference in
handling. Even your dear sweet grandmother would notice the difference in
acceleration though ;-)

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas/
British V8 Newsletter:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm