Re: Locking Brakes

To: <TRDOCTOR@aol.com>, "6 Pack Digest" <6pack-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Locking Brakes
From: "Nelson A. Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 23:41:07 -0500
| Fellow listers;
| Last summer, as some of you may remember, I posted a plea for help for the
| locking of my front brakes on my '72 TR6.  The common thought pointed to
the
| PDWA.  I rebuilt it and everything seemed ok for awhile.  Well, the
problem
| has re-manifested itself.  I can feel the brake pedal "pump up" and the
| brakes start dragging.  It gets so bad that the brakes litteraly stop the
| car.  I have succeded in warping the rotors so I want to make sure I have
the
| problem solved before I change them out.  Today, on the way to work, it
| happened again.  This time instead of cracking a bleeder, I cracked the
brake
| line at the master cylinder and the brakes released leading me to believe
| that the problem is with the "tipping valve".
| What I was wondering is:  Is the rod that goes from the servo to the
master
| cylinder adjustable?  I am wondering if the rod may be applying some
pressure
| to the master not letting the piston come all the way back and letting the
| tipping valve open.

Good thought --- servo may be hanging up.  Next time, rather than cracking
the line at the MC, try backing off  the nuts holding the MC to the servo so
that you can pull the MC away from the servo.  This should allow the piston
to return if this is the problem.

Nelson Riedel
Granville, OH
76 TR6 (at paint shop)
68 TR250 (next project - new paint)
70 TR6 (all the parts in a pile ready to assemble)