Driveshaft woes

To: 6Pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Driveshaft woes
From: "Walter Fogle" <lbc4me@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 19:07:15 -0000
Hello 6Pack:

I posted earlier that I removed my driveshaft to replace the two u-joints.
I decided to take the unit to my local driveline shop for u-joint
replacement and balancing.  The owner told me that the sliding spline was
basically toasted.  It slides front to back (as it should) but has some
lateral movement as well, probably contributing to the failure of the front
u-joint (or vice-versa?)

Anyhow - I note that the big three advertise complete driveshafts for
$219-$279.  Has anyone purchased one of these units?  What is your
satisfaction level, if so?  Do I have any other options?

Thanks as usual for any assistance.

Walt Fogle
'69 TR6, CC30689L
Woodinville, WA