Re: Gearbox mount procedure

To: lbc4me@hotmail.com (Walter Fogle)
Subject: Re: Gearbox mount procedure
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 18:53:18 -0700 (PDT)
Walt---I just got around to changing the original tranny mounts, but did
it when the tranny was out for other reasons.
Since this mount supports some of the weight of the engine/tranny
package, it is necessary to raise this combo up a bit, to ease out the
mount, as Alan said.  I don't think I'd make a special project out of
changing the mount rubbers unless I needed to go into this area for
something else, but since you asked----If you don't want to jack up
things from under the car, with all this entails, it's possible to do
this from in the cockpit. Of course the cover will have to come off, but
you'll get a better shot at the nuts and bolts this way. Lever up the
tail piece, then support the tail piece of the tranny with a 2"x2"
across the floor pan opening AFTER removing the two 3/4"X1" bolts. This
2x2 or whatever you use, will allow removal of the mount, and a better
angle at cleaning off the years of gunk that accumulates in this area.
A curved box wrench will be helpful in holding the nyloc nuts partially
hidden up in the frame below the mount.

Dick T.
L.A.