Re: Silicone Fluid ruins (white) paint

To: "David Randall" <davidra@corbis.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Silicone Fluid ruins (white) paint
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:33:59 -0400

Silicone based brake fluid also absorbs moisture more than mineral
> ones do.
>
> Changing from mineral to silicone without a complete rebuild of the system
> will result in problems. Maybe not immediately, but they will occur.

David,

This seems to completely disagree with the data from two manufacturer's of
Silicone fluid.  One of the big reasons to use Silicone fluid is that it
doesn't absorb moisture.  It's very simple to run a comparison test  ---
take a couple glass jars, (I used baby food jars) fill one with DOT3/4, the
other with silicone, add ~10%  water & shake --- then let set for a while.
You'll find the silicon separates from the water & floats on top.  Not so
the DOT3 I tested.

As far as rebuilding the systems before installing the Silicone --- seems to
be another urban legend --- wonder how many poor smucks have wasted $$$$$
doing this to their LBC rather than using the $$$$$$ to take the significant
other to dinner  in the LBC, a much wiser investment.

Don't believe me, check out the manufacturer's label on a bottle of silicone
fluid; click on following link to view.

http://www.nextek.net/BuckeyeTriumphs/DOT5.jpg