engine miss

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: engine miss
From: "Jay Snavely" <jays@paonline.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 14:58:37 -0400
I have still not solved the engine miss from 1000 to 2400 rpm.  It is stock
with Strombergs.  Recently disconnected the TVS since it was not working,
and have the vac line connected to the vac retard all the time.I checked the
timing with the vac connected as follows:

1000 rpm - 4 deg before
1500 rpm - 10
2000 rpm - 22
2500 rpm  25
 I have checked the vac hoses. All seem OK.  I am thinking it is a fuel
problem.  I checked the temp compensator on both, checked the linkage
adjustment, checked the damper operation and oil.  The front plugs seemed to
indicate they were too rich.  Pulled the front carb and checked the float
adj and flushed out the jets. Gave the rear carb a half turn rich on the
needle, but this did not have an effect.

It also has not been starting when the engine is hot.  I checked the firing
with the light the last time this happened.  So this must also be a fuel
problem, maybe related to the first problem.

Any ideas on what this might be?  Maybe I need a Color Tune set for Fathers
day.

Jay Snavely