RE: Convertible Top Alignment

To: AlDKing@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Convertible Top Alignment
From: Keith Meinhold <keith@navyboy.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 20:01:21 -0800
Sounds like a not uncommon malady with LBCs.

You will probably find it easier to put up on warm days -- just when you
don't want to put it up.  And when its sooooo cold out that you cant stand
it anymore - is when its hardest to put up, add your digits without
dexterity from the cold, trying to get the @#*&@ snaps in place.  Its why we
love these cars.

A new top will be tighter than an old worn and stretched one.  The reason it
is so tight is to keep it from flapping and sagging when it gets older.
Usually after the first install it is recommended to leave the top up a few
weeks so it can stretch to fit the form.  I also leave my top up unless I am
using the car that day, to preserve its appearance, but more importantly to
keep it from shrinking out of shape, making it more difficult.

Everyone has a trick, -- I found the best way to line my tight one up to the
header rail is to pull from the outside on the side rail/channel (Standing
next to the car just aft of the front wheel well) with one hand and apply
downward force with the other hand on the leading edge once it is close.
Then when it slips in I maintain the downward force with the same hand and
reach inside with the other to lock it in place, then go do the same on the
other side.

Keith Meinhold
66 Marston Avenue
San Francisco CA 94112