RE: TR 6 Horns??

To: "'Mike Brandon'" <mbrandon@idirect.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR 6 Horns??
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 19:48:44 -0500
Mike,

I just went through this last fall. The steering column completes the
circuit to ground from the horn slip ring so you may want to look at that.
Here is what I did:

Connect one end of a jumper wire to the chassis or negative battery
terminal.
Connect the other end to the steering column at various points and try the
horn each time.

There are three places I found where failure may occur:
1. Look at the oil plug on the steering rack and see if there is a wire
going to it and it is making a good connection.
2. There is a wire which jumps over the rubber coupling in the steering
column.
3. There are ground connections on the harness attached to the facia.

Initially I put a bandaid on the problem by wiring a new ground to the
steering rack. Later I found the real problem was at the harness.

One interesting thing about my problem was that the horn honked, just not
very well or loudly. Sort of bleated like a sheep or something. When you hit
the horn, the left hand headlight would flash! It must have been finding a
poor ground connection through the light somehow.

- Hugh