Plug at rear of camshaft bore

Subject: Plug at rear of camshaft bore
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 16:09:20 -0500
OK, I lied. There was at least one other issue with the machine shop and my
TR6 block. I purchased all the oil, freeze and other plugs I could find and
left them with the shop to install. One unusual plug was the convex disk
which goes at the rear of the camshaft bore. Apparently the machinist
overlooked this and installed a cup shaped plug there even though I
identified it clearly on the package. He didn't seem to think that it would
matter.

Now, I seem to recall that there was originally a cup shaped plug, but I'm
not sure. Does it matter? I don't think the cam rides up against this or
anything.

Why the special convex plug anyway? Looks like it might be more difficult to
install, so I assume there's a good reason for it. Maybe I should put it in.

Thanks,
Hugh Fader