Re: EGR pipe

To: Charles Shaw <charlie.shaw@acsalaska.net>
Subject: Re: EGR pipe
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 11:36:28 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Charles Shaw wrote:

> Doing a little cleaning and re-assembly today and found the EGR pipe from
> the valve to the manifold is cracked open at the bend for approximately an
> inch. This is on a 75 TR6 and is Moss part number 379-425 for reference.
> Moss list this pipe as NA. Does anyone know of a source or a substitute for
> this pipe. It appears to be aluminum with the brass fittings and olives.
> Would plugging the holes cause any major (or minor) problems. Thanks for
> any help.

I bought this part from TRF a few years back. The one that I bought was
made from stainless steel.

If you want to block things, I'm pretty sure the intake end of things is a
1/2 NPT blug - same as your oil drain plug. You can get a 1/2 NPT plug at
your local hardware store.

The EGR base to the cylinder head is a 3/4-18 machine thread. Buy a bolt
and a soft-ish washer and a lock nut and have at it. I trimmed my bolt to
a fairly short length so that it does not protrude into the exahust path
of the # 5 exhaust port.

It does not look very nice, but it does work. Keep and eye on the EGR plug
to make sure it does not leak hot exhaust gasses on the top of the engine.

> Charles Shaw
> 75 TR6
> CF39093UO

regards,
rml
CF14111
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |