No Clickie - No Startie

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: No Clickie - No Startie
From: Gameparker@cs.com
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 17:46:31 EDT
List,
after a 500 mile round trip to play some awful rugby in St. Petersburg (Fla.)
on Saturday, my TR6 let me down 20 miles from home.  I had to wait 4 hours on
Alligator Alley as signals to my cell phone faded every 20 - 30 seconds.  Did
I mention it was the darkest of nights, no highway lighting for miles, and no
torch light to boot (I took it out to let my 2 year old play with it).  It
was bordering on worrisome.  I had pulled off to put a few gallons of petrol
I had in a spare can, and for some reason decided to shut the engine off to
do it.  Jumped back in, turned the key and.... nothing.  that awful, terrible
silence.  No crank, no click, just the sound of what you know will be a long
night ahead of you.  Tried jumpering the battery to the starter by feel
alone, and jiggling wires, but still nothing.  All other electrical items
worked - the IGN light would come on and I could even hear the OD solenoid
click on.  After about 20 lost calls to Allstate, and 4 hours later, I was
saved.  All the while though, no click or crank.  Got home just after
midnight after waking up the entire street.  The next morning, popped the
bonnet, looked around, couldn't see anything obvious, replaced a fuse that
looked dubious (later found out that fuses have nothing to do with starting).
 Jumped in...started right up.  I don't know where to begin looking.  The car
is a 1974 - I would check the starter relay, but I'm not sure where it is
exactly.  I see the OD, horn and flasher relays, but no starter.  One thing
is for sure, however, the car doesn't get taken out again until some
component gets replaced.
Your collective wisdom please...
Thanks and regards
Geoffrey Parker