Re: Front spring trouble

To: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: Front spring trouble
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nelson@buckeyetriumphs.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 07:48:44 -0400
I've always used a spring compressor on a bare frame.

If you have the engine and body installed, it's easier; the weight of the
car can be used to your advantage.  My neighbor Ryan and I just discussed it
last week -- he's done it more recently and refreshed the memory.

I first block the wheel up a few inches like driving up on a couple long
2X10s --- this gives me a little more room.   I then put a floor jack or
jack stand under the frame --- but not against it.    I then remove the
shock, then the two nuts on the inner studs on the spring plate under the
spring.  Next, remove the two outer nuts and bolts.   Next, put a floorjack
under the spring plate and raise it until it is firm against the plate.
Remove the last two bolts and then slowly lower the jack.  The plate and
spring should come down.  When the jack is lowered, the frame should drop
onto the jack stand or other floor jack.   It's necessary for the frame to
drop some to get the spring plate level so that it will slide off the inner
studs.  Reverse this sequence to install the spring.

As a precaution, I tie a heavy rope through the spring and around the tower
to keep it from becoming airborne should something unplanned happen.

Nelson Riedel
Granville, Ohio
'68TR250, '76TR6, '70TR6 (project)

Subject: Front spring trouble