RE: Front Springs

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Front Springs
From: William Whitmoyer <wwhitmoyer@samsonite.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:27:49 -0400
FYI Speaking of exploding, deadly springs, I bought a spring compressor
advertised as a MacPherson Strut compressor (two compression rods on the
outside of the spring).  Each compression end is more than just a hook, but
rather has a bit of spring "perch" to spread the load and help prevent
slipping. Also, it has a safety strap to help keep both rods where they
belong.  One of the problems with 2 compression rod units is that they can
snap around the spring together, mangle your hand and the now uncompressed
side of the spring will pop out.  Didn't happen to me, but to someone I
know.  When I heard about it, I bought this better compressor.  I haven't
used it on the TR6, but it's worked very well on three more modern cars.

I think the two most deadly items in a car are the springs and
battery.  Take care out there.

William Whitmoyer
69 TR6
90 BMW iX