Re: My Take on GRM

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Subject: Re: My Take on GRM
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:25:51 -0400 (EDT)
Jeez Kai -

While I won't take up space to defend GRM's publishing methodology or the
content of the articles, I will say that contrary to your assertions that
GRM is basically editorial advertising that there is good stuff in there.

BUT - it's not in the form that you might be looking for, e.g. put on a
set of Khumohama 8250's and your car will be transformed. If you actually
read the material, there are little tidbits in there that say the whole
thing.

My favorite story in the pub a year or two ago was about brakes. The
article went into deep detail about hydraulics and ratios for pedals - all
sorts of good stuff. But the ENTIRE ARTICLE was contained in one small
paragraph at or near the end that basically said that the most important
part of the braking process was the _contact patch_ of the tire. That was
good stuff, because that's exactly what I'd been telling people for years.
I was exonerated!

As for JK's parts being too expensive, well, that's JK's perogative.
Defending JK, I can say that the man KNOWS TR6's. I mean, the guy has 30
years experience racing TR6's.

Besides, I don't necessarily read the magazine for it's factual content. I
like the editorial style, layout and many of the pictures. In other words
- IT'S ENTERTAINMENT.

Ta-ta,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |