Re: My Take on GRM

To: <LaJoMor@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: My Take on GRM
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 19:29:36 -0400
Larry Morrison wrote:

> Whew....
> After reading Kai's pontification on GRM magazine I thought I
> should go out and burn all of my back issues of it and British Car
> Magazine and then cancel my subscriptions!

No, that wasn't the purpose, I just wanted people to question what they're
reading in these publications.  I have no doubt, and agree, that some
articles in GRM enhance the reader's knowledge.  It isn't on a consistent
basis, like I just wrote in reply to Bob, informaton and data from one
article are excluded in later articles that are relevant to the first.
Coupled with their commercial bias and other technical and factual faults,
and GRM has now become a highly suspect publication to me.

Knowledge is a fine thing, but if you're lacking it on a particular subject,
how will you be able to recognize what you are reading as incorrect or
flawed?  At least on this list, as with the other team.net lists, there is
bound to be someone who speaks up when information being posted which is not
correct.  If GRM did that, you would most likely recieve 24 magazines a year
instead of 12.

As it is, I know of no suitable one-source alternative to GRM, and therefore
it does fill a niche.  So the characteristic I will not fault GRM for is
being original in concept.

Kai