PDWA Rebuild

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: PDWA Rebuild
From: Bob Rothstein <rgrothstein@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 07:45:52 -0700 (PDT)
     Listers:  I too got tired of having brake fluid leak from
the PDWA.  Except for a full rebuild kit from a parts house in
England (Moss Europe?), I couldn't find a British parts place
that has just the small rubber 'O' rings used on the PDWA
shuttle piston - really the only renewable item on the part.
When I was in Milwaukee on business in December, I went to an
industrial supply house with an old PDWA so they could see the
shuttle piston application (i.e., high pressure, impervious to
brake fluid) and asked them to match the 'O' rings.  Here's the
details:
     I went to Great Lakes Rubber + Supply (414 - 352 -
8800)(www.greatlakesrubber.com)and walked out with eight of
their stock no. 2- 008 E893 'O' rings - I think they're made by
Parker Hannafin.  The price is $62.50 per hundred, and I talked
them into eight for $5 (They had a minimum purchase amount for
counter sales that far exceeded $5, but I was from out of town,
it was around Christmas, and it was a slow day, so they agreed
to waive the minimum charge - don't know about mail or internet
order).  I still haven't rebuilt the PDWA, so I can't vouch for
them yet, but they fit over the piston the way they should.
     BTW, as of a few years ago, the brake light connection that
fits into the top of the PDWA used in our cars (250, 6) and
earths the shuttle piston when there's a brake pressure
imbalance was still available as a new item through Ford
dealers.

  Bob Rothstein
  TR-250
  Vienna, VA