first TR

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: first TR
From: "Michael Lupynec" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 21:14:17 -0400
Subscribed today and jumping in with both feet.

I just bought a rust free, white on tan, Canadian 74 TR6 with 60K
miles. Flawless prep/repaint 8 years ago. Interior is vgc, but
engine compartment has black undercoat oversprayed on everything.
All original except for a stereo radio/speakers and some smog
vacuum lines pulled.

She sputtered a bit on the 60 mile trip home (seriously cracked
Lucas cap and dry dizzy shaft). The steering rack freeplays
sideways about an inch and there is that clunk in the back.
Electrics are 50% functional (normal you say?) and #4 is weak on a
cold compression test. Of course the clutch action is dubious, but
no slip.

With a long non maintenance history, this TR6 has survived and
still runs strong. I need some list wisdom before I diagnose
further or order parts for the quick fixes. I am hoping to drive a
summer before pulling the engine (maybe).

I - Besides being meticulous on the clutch rebuild, linkages and
crank endfloat
(a) - are the Moss Borg-Beck or LUK (Laycock) clutch assy's
acceptable?
(b) - how about the Moss master and slave
(c) - is it good practice to replace the .70 inch with the earlier
.75 inch master bore diameter?

2 - Some have said the solid steering rack mounting kit from Moss
for $37 makes handling too twitchy. Or will the $5 replacement
rubbers do well enough?

3 - The muffler is gone, pipes are semi OK.
(a) - what aftermarket muffler bolts in?
(b) - are there any favorite not too radical Stromberg compatible
full systems?

4 - Finally - about that 5 thou wobbly dizzy shaft. Which
electronic replacement unit do TR6's like?

Hopefully not too many questions for a first post, but any input
at this early stage is very much appreciated.

Mike L, Toronto
TR6, CF18058U, one book says all CF's had overdrive - so where's
my OD switch?
3 other LBC's
1979 hotrod CBX (just sold thru ebay)
1975 mint Kawa H2 triple (squeezed on space, thinking to sell)