Fwd: first TR

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: first TR
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 07:54:47 -0700 (PDT)
On question 1: I would recommend buying the upgraded throwout bearing
(Toyota Landcruiser part, available from most TR suppliers).  The
regular bearings can fall apart real quick, and replacing is a pain. As
far as pressure plates and center plates, that's a tough one.  Don't
know if I can really address that...

On question 2: I love the solid rack mounts that I have, and the
steering is not at all twitchy.  I think the stock setup is junk, I've
never seen a stock setup that held the rack completely steady.
However, I've heard that the Moss style solid mount is not good.  It
uses a U bolt which has low surface area and is prone to cracking.  TRF
sells a better mount (made by Goodparts).  This is the one I have.  No
problems after several years of use.

On question 3: I like the Rimmer sport system (header, single 2.25"
pipe, 2.25" sport muffler).  It sounds great.  As with any header, a
bit of fitting is required, but it's a heck of a lot better fit than
the Monza header.  If you're looking to do exhaust only (keep the stock
header), I think the Falcon stainless dual sport system is nice.  The
Monza system is too loud (and very droaning on highway travel) in my
opinion.

On question 4: I have the Crane XR700, which works well.  I also like
the Petronix, it's so simple and clean, and costs about the same.  If
you're looking do some performance mods, you might want to look at MSD.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6