Shim the Cam Gear?

To: "6 Pack List (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Shim the Cam Gear?
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:45:21 -0400
I now have my cam in place and am in the process of setting up the timing
gears. Rather than having to put shims behind the crank gear, I find that
the cam gear is about .015" below the level of the crank gear. I saw a
posting from a while back which recommended putting shims behind the cam
gear. I can do this. First I want to make sure this is not a symptom of an
assembly error or other mis-alignment. I guess the front plate, gasket, cam
retainer, and crank all have some effect.

Any opinions on this?

Thanks,
Hugh Fader