Re: 1970 TR6 Bumpers? (dual bar)

To: William Maslin <cwrm4@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 1970 TR6 Bumpers? (dual bar)
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 14:19:59 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, William Maslin wrote:

> Hello,

Hi.

> I was looking at a 1970 TR6 for sale this weekend and
> it had a second round chrome bar on top both the front
> and rear bumpers. I had never recalled seeing a bumper
> like this on a TR6, and in a quick flip back through
> the Brooklands TR6 Portfolio I saw only a couple
> pictures of TR6's with these bumpers.

I have these on my TR6. I'm the original owner.

> Were these bumpers an option?

Yes. They added $100 or so to the purchase price. The over-riders (or
bumper bars) were made by AMCO, I believe.

> Only for specific years?

No. I've seen them on every year TR6 from '69 through the end.

> At the risk of being flamed, I thought they looked a
> little clunky -- can they be easily replaced with a
> standard bumper? (they were somewhat pitted)

Yes, you can replace them. I think they look clunky too, but I wanted to
keep the orignal look of my car.

If you want to dump the bars, you have a few choices. You can have a
plater weld-up the holes and re-plate your regular bumpers. This is
probably the best way to do it.

Otherwise, you need to source bumpers, either new or used. Both have
issues, but given the chance - if your bumpers are otherwise okay,
re-plating the originals is probably a better way to go. The brand new
ones are not perfect and they will pit if exposed to the elements. If you
buy new, some of the vendors suggest that you should get them re-plated
immediately, especially if you are show-car kind of person.

Look around for some NOS bumpers. These will likely need re-plating, the
factory chrome was _awful_. When my '74 was new, we mounted 2 bumpers from
England that chrome was peeling off from. The third one worked out okay,
but I had to re-plate it in the mid-eighties (because it too started
peeling).

That's you call as to fixing the old or replacing it with new.

FWIW, you can probably sell the bars through ebay or VTR web site (or
better still at the VTR national). I've seen them in all three locations.

> Thanks,
>
> William
> 1960 Jaguar Mk2 3.8
> 1987 Pitts Special S-2B
> http://health.yahoo.com

regards,
rml

p.s. A PITTS? WOW. I'm impressed.
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |