Re: coils and balasts (Spark Plug Gap w/Sport Coil)

To: cwrm4@yahoo.com (William Maslin)
Subject: Re: coils and balasts (Spark Plug Gap w/Sport Coil)
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 17:31:31 -0800 (PST)
William---Larger spark plug gaps, along with the hotter ignitions, can
be used to light off lean air/fuel mixtures, such as those found on most
new car engines. We know that once the mixture is lit, there is no extra
power to be found with a hotter spark.  Unless the engine's systems are
"managed" it would be difficult to get good driveability with a lean
carbureted setup, even with hotter spark and wider gapped plugs.

High compressioned engines benefit most from High Energy systems, as
such engines can blow out the spark from one with low capacity.  Plus,
spark plugs don't foul as readily with a HEI.

I do not disagree with Dan Masters in this regard. If you have a source
for a hotter spark, you can increase the plug gap. The payoff for such
changes are rarely found in the power dept. of a stock or mildly
modified engine... But a slight mileage increase could be realized IF
the carburetion was leaned out to take advantage of this. Few owners do.
(Neither did Triumph, who had such a coil during their manufacturing
years)

A lot of this falls into the same category as the "SplitFire Plug" hype.

Dick