Re: TR250

To: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR250
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 20:34:50 EST
In a message dated 11/7/02 6:43:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jonmac@ndirect.co.uk writes:

> If this refers to the body underside between front and rear wheels, we call
> them sills in the UK. If we're talking of the same thing, they were black.
> Rough. It was coated with black underseal

John,
You definitely have me on this one.  I have been running around for years
with painted sills on my TR250!  How embarrassing to find out that it is
apparently incorrect.  Good thing she is Royal Blue which is very dark so
maybe everyone didn't notice. I have seen 250's both ways and was always in
the painted body color camp.  I rationalized that maybe the black silled cars
were created during the undercoating process by dealers here in the US. Now
you tell us that they were that way from the factory with TR5's having coated
sills TOO!  Actually being sprayed in England!  I am devastated and tempted
to run out in the garage and coat them up right now.  I even have a brand new
can of 3M undercoating ready to go.  But I must be sure. While pouring over
my reference materials I find at least one example of a white TR250 with
painted sills.  However the majority of them appear to be black.  Are you
sure?  Did Triumph apply any underseal to other parts of the undercarriage?

Learning New Things Everyday,
Darrell