TR250 Cams, rockers, and Compression Ratio

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR250 Cams, rockers, and Compression Ratio
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 18:30:29 -0500
I'm thinking of going to 9.8:1 CR with Richard Good's GP2 cam and 1.65
roller rockers.

Is this pushing it too much? Will I be safe for 93 octane? Opinions?
Anyone done this?

I'm picking the GP2 because I'm not going to race, and I would rather
have the low end torque -- I think.

I'm picking the 1.65 rockers because of the added HP.

This will be a sunday day car -- less than 2500 miles per year -- JC
Taylor insurance.

What about the need for cam bearings with this setup? Can I get by
without the cam bearings since I'm using the 1.65 with the GP2 rather
than the GP3?

I'm having a hard time finding a machine shop that will line bore the
engine for cam bearings. I called TRF and they said they also have
problems and said it costs them about $600.00 -- that's a lot -- too
much.

Any ideas about a machine shop in eastern NY or eastern PA or western MA
or western CT? I'm in Binghamton NY on the NY-PA line about 3 hrs drive
west of the Hudson River -- It's on RT 81. The DC area or Northern VA
might be OK too. My kids are there so I could visit as well.

Any opinions on the advantages of needle bearing rockers vs bushings?

Thanks,

Don