Re: TR250 Cams, rockers, and Compression Ratio

To: dmallin@attglobal.net
Subject: Re: TR250 Cams, rockers, and Compression Ratio
From: "Shane Ingate" <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 17:24:57 -0500
Don,

9.8:1 compression should be OK with pump gas as long as you pay careful
attention
to timing and spark production.  Add a MSD/Jacobs/etc box and you should be
OK.

IMHO, the 1.65 ratio rockers will be waaaay too much, especially as you
admit that
there will be no track work for this car.   Roller rockers are not "bolt on"
hp, and can
only be considered as part of a package.  If the package is not well-thought
out, it
is just money down the drain.  On all but highly-prepped engines, the only
thing that
1.65 ratio rockers will give you is increased wear on the lobes.  Spend your
money on
good head work.

Line-boring for Spitfire bearings is a good idea, if they are going to carry
a lumpy stick,
spend a lot of time at high rpm.  It seems like your car will probably have
an easy life;
it has already survived maybe 100K miles with the stock cam, at 2500
miles/year, your
kids will have the responsibility of the next engine rebuild.

There is a highly reputable shop in Baltimore that will line-bore cam
bearings, but their
machine id down until "mid-winter".  Dont ask me how I know.  There is
another shop
nearby in Rockville, MD, but is an unknown quantity.  I have been advised to
wait till
Bill gets his machine reassembled in the next few months.  $600 is too
expensive; maybe
that includes other services (hot tank, line-boring the mains, hone,
zero-deck, etc).

Good luck,

Shane Ingate in Maryland

PS  This weeks update on Rags.  The body work is almost finished.  The body
"modifications"
turned out better than I had hoped.  Everyone who has seen it, even Triumph
traditionalists,
are saying that this will be one bitchin' car.  Just a bit more plastic work
to be done, then we'll
shoot it with a single-stage black acrylic.  As you guessed, the motor
build-up has a glitch,
but there is still a lot of head and crank work to be done.