alignment frustration

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: alignment frustration
From: "Alan & Debbie Lindner" <theedge@cts.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 06:35:42 -0800
Well after over a year and half, I finally bought news tires and
installed my "minilite" style rims.  Boy it looks cool.  But before I
took it down to the tire shop, I installed solid steering mounts,
aligned the rack and steering shaft (thanks to Tim Holbrook for the
great alignment procedure email).  The steering wheel was not
lined up but I did not have a gear puller available yet. So I told the
alignment shop that you need to align it to the dimple or slot in the
rack which you access through the lubrication bolt.  They said yeah,
yeah we know, we will call you if there is any problems.  They said
that that the machine does it automatically which didn't seem right.

I come to get the car and look inside and see that the steering
wheel is level.  They tell me that the alignment went great but that
the lock to lock is not centered.  It is about a 1/4 turn off.  I finally
get it out of them that they used the steering wheel to center the
lock to lock.  I show them which bolt to remove and that you take a
phillips screw driver to look for the centering slot.

So I leave the car for another 2 hours.  I come and get it at 5pm.
they tell me that they were never able to find the slot so they took
there best guess.  It is still off but luckly, I have 30 days to get it re-
aligned for free. I will center the shaft in the rack and PULL off the
steering wheel and center it.  Boy, I wish I could just have the
equipment available and do it myself.

....one frustrated TR6 owner.
Alan

Alan Lindner