Re: TR6 power

To: Gene Holtzclaw <motrv8d@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 power
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:12:27 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Gene Holtzclaw wrote:

> After reading about a 2.5 turning 7k plus, I was wondering if any 2.5 was
> ever offered with a steel crank? Seems a good start for an engine build.

Hmmm. Not sure what you mean here. The TR6 crank (and presumably the 2500
saloon cars) use a forged crank. It is a very good crank to start with!
You can get steel billet cranks for TR6's if you really want to, they
aren't cheap, but if your goal is to build a really really really strong
TR6 motor - steel billet is the way to go (as well as Carillo rods, etc.,
etc., etc.).

But merely nitriding a TR6 crank and then balancing everything is a good
way to go and you can tune it to turn 7000 - no worries. If you want to
spin more than that, the limiting factor would be the valve train (you'd
have to seriously consider lightening things and going to heavy seat
pressures to reduce the chance of valve float).  It would be cheaper ($500
for a prepared TR6 crank (plus the cost of the crank)) or $2k-plus for a
steel billet crank - there are still lots of good TR6 cranks out there to
ruin! Hmmm, come to think of it, I think there are 5 or 6 out in the
garage even as we speak!

Yours in Nitriding,
rml
note: the reference to a prepared TR6 crank is a re-ground, polished,
balanced, nitrided crank done at APT (www.aptfast.com). You can probably
get the work done locally, but APT knows all the tricks (e.g. David Vizard
allegedly works there).
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |