RE: Winterization

To: "'Brett Graffis'" <bgraffis@hotmail.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Winterization
From: "Lino Baggio" <lino.baggio@idxcorporation.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:06:22 -0500
Hi Brett,

There are many opinions about how to store a car over the winter, and
since you've asked, I'll offer my $0.02.
Many people put their cars up on jack stands over the winter in order to
take the weight off the springs, suspension and tires - this isn't
absolutely necessary since all the components are typically over
designed to support even greater loads than a 2500lb car could offer in
a static position. The environment that you are storing your car in as
well as the amount of time (assuming 4-6 months) should determine your
methods of storing.  If the space in not heated or has hot / cold cycles
that promote condensation, then I would suggest that you raise the car,
support it on jack stands so that the unsprung weight of each tire /
corner is hanging at its longest suspension travel point. The thought
here is that condensation will cause a ring of rust to form at the seal
within the inner workings of your shocks / struts. This rust would occur
in a spot that would only be effected when (theoretically) the car was
airborne. If the car was on it's wheels, the ring of rust would be in
the middle portion of the working range of the shock, constantly in
contact with the seal and the up/down movement of the car while driving
will eventually cause the seal to fail. (I bought this theory when it
was explained to me, you can use your judgment here). Having the car
elevated could also deter little critters from finding there way into a
nice nook or cranny of your car - or at least make it harder. If you
have soft, sticky tires, put the car on jack stands, or have a second
set of old, tired rims / tires and switch them out. For regular street
tires, I over inflate them 15-20 lbs or so - makes the dead weight of
the car easier to roll if you have to, and helps deter flat-spotting. If
it's a dirt floor (read barn) or other surfaces that 'breath' put down
some type of vapor barrier to keep the moisture at bay. Other things to
consider - fuel stabilizer, a thorough cleaning inside and out - nasty
food bits under the seats turn into even nastier bits over the winter.
Fill the fuel tank. Some people spray oil based products over chrome,
give the paint a good waxing. I don't usually start my car over the
winter because it takes a while to get everything up to temperature and
I don't like to do that at idle. The hot / cold cycle also promotes
condensation.

Kind of long winded, but I'm sure that others have more ideas. Do what
you feel comfortable with doing and happy hibernating.