Re: Ignition key won't turn --- update

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ignition key won't turn --- update
From: Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:12:07 -0800
Thanks for good ideas....

I tried my other key (the one I don't normally use) and the lock failed to
turn.
I then removed the lock assembly and either key turns (and locking pin
retracts)
when the assembly is not attached to the steering column.

However, I think the lock assembly needs to be replaced because something
inside the lock appears to be binding on the locking pin.  In particular,
the pin
fails to extend when the key is turned to off (until I bang it on the
workbench)
and there is moderate resistance when turning the key to on.  Seems like a
simple case of a part reaching the end of its service life (it's been
working fine
for 31 years, so I have no complaints).

Anyone have recent good or bad experiences with the locks that are available?

What name does Quintin-Hazel call themselves now (so I can avoid anything
from them)?

TRF's winter parts catalog shows a lock that is "not original" and "should
work."
Anyone have experience with it?

Thanks again,
Cregg Cowan