Re: Trailing arm bolts- update

To: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Trailing arm bolts- update
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 15:31:23 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Peter Macholdt wrote:

> Regarding the Loctite on the shaft to arm studs, I got 3 responses as
> follows: use the blue Loctite/ use anti-seize/ use nothing. Not sure what
> I'll do.

Okay - whatever you do - recall the basics of metalurgy here.

When you thread steel into aluminium, "lube the threads". So, use
anti-sneeze if you wish, but to be honest - you don't want these studs to
pull out, so med. strength Loctite is prudent because it lubes the threads
when you install it and the stud will stay there "in perpetuity" unless
you use the wrong nuts to hold the hub assembly on in which case anything
stated above is moot. If you do need to remove the studs, gentle heat
application will suffice without hurting anything.

I'm pretty sure that the two most common reasons for failure of the hub
carrier studs is: 1. brute strength grease monkeys who install the
nuts with a breaker bar (to be fair, the torque spec for the studs is
pretty "weak") and 2. galling of the threads from running them in/out in
a "Dry" state.

> Peter
> '68 TR250

It would appear that the decision is already made for you!
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |