Re: LBC mechanics

To: SamuelsMA@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LBC mechanics
From: "Robert L. Gannon" <trsix74@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 08:24:03 -0500
I work part time for a LBC shop. I listen every Friday afternoon and
Saturday mornings to my boss (Owner and Operator) about the people that
bring their cars in and spend the a good hour yakking about all sorts of
things, mostly asking for advice, about beefing up this, that or the other.
So now the solo mechanic has been pulled away from doing any repair work on
the cars that are piling up. Then the multitude of phone calls to discuss
trivial matters or inquiries into "How far are you?" Think of this: Your
under the car. Your doing a job that needs setting something up. You start.
The phone rings. You stop. Wipe your hands. Answer the phone. Its that guy
again asking about "how far are you on my car". Not to be impolite, the
response is not what you would like to say. Finally, farewells are made, and
you put the phone down. In absolutely no mood to proceed on the job at hand,
because you have just spent the last hour being pissed off at someone that
has wasted your time. What some people don't understand is that time is
money and every phone call is costing money. I have never seen on any repair
bill going out, a line item for wasted time: 5 hours at $47.00 per hour!

And my part of this: my boss has a week of this building up. So when I get
in to work on Friday afternoon, I get to here it all, as he vents. And now
my time is wasted at $7.00 per hour. I know that this didn't answer your
question, but boy do I feel better now. Thanks for letting me vent!

Robert L. Gannon
trsix74@comcast.net
TR6   1974 CF22956U
TR3A 1960 TS70951L