Re: Steering Rack Boot Installation

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Rack Boot Installation
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:32:33 -0500
Dwayne,

It has been a while since I did this but I recall using an old plastic
gallon milk jug. I cut it apart to make a sheet. Placed the sheet so that it
makes a funnel shaped over the steering components. The small end goes into
the big end of the boot and the large end goes over the fattest part of the
rack. Tape it with duct tape. Now use a slippery liquid or red rubber grease
to lubricate the funnel and boot. Pull/ push the boot up over the funnel,
pull out the plastic sheet (did I mention that you don't want to tape the
funnel too well as it must pull apart when you tug it out from under the
boot) and go have a beer.

Peter
'68 TR250 (learning how easy it is to blow through 12 gauge diff supports
with a home welder)