Re: New atitudes

To: "Richard Cottingham" <rcotting@ns.sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: New atitudes
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:05:09 -0500
Bwa-ha-ha! The little guys strike back!

Seriously,

No offense meant to engineers, but as a flight instructor  I always hated
trying to teach an engineer to fly. They (in my experience) made the worst
students.

As a rule, they thought that because they understood better how an airplane
flew, they could automatically and by default fly one better than I! (An
attitude sometimes went along with the tremendous knowledge they possessed
as well).

Once I could get them to stop thinking about the 'why', they could begin to
get the 'how'. Once they were convinced that, believe it or not, I knew more
than they did about the 'how', and knew how to show them, we would get along
fine.

I  hate trolls, and don't believe that 'smack-down' behavior should be
encouraged, no matter how 'smart' a person is.

A genius can be as big an A-hole as an idiot, the genius just has a better
vocabulary.

It's really easy to sit behind a computer screen and be an insulting boor.
Would a troll talk to a person to their face the same way?  Maybe so, that's
why they have such an abrasive, condescending, adversarial attitude. Or
maybe not, because they'd get their a**es kicked. I dunno. I have seen a
couple of lists smack down their trolls, and be better for it. I have left
others because they became a waste of my time.

We have had a civil, enjoyable little 'club' to this point. Let's keep it a
list where no question is too 'stupid' to ask, and a guy who needs help with
a spark plug gap can ask away without being scolded or 'put down'.

Triumph people are nice people, right?

That's all I've got to say about that.

Jim