Re: TR6 PI

To: "McMaster, John" <JOHN.MCMASTER@act.gov.au>
Subject: Re: TR6 PI
From: "David J Stauffacher" <dstauffa@csc.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 07:38:11 -0800
Hi John,

My car is an original PI TR6, at least that's what the BMHIT certificate
indicates!  I had the PI system completely overhauled in '96 by a shop in
England - metering unit, injectors, pipes, throttle bodies, linkage, etc.
Not knowing much about it when I put it back on the car, I was told either
it will work or won't - no in between.  It ran and has ran fine ever since.
It's just a little rich when I have the cold start/choke cable pulled all
the way out!  Which make sense since that's the point of having a choke.
7,000 rpms!  Definitely not standard and way out of my league!  I would
like to know what you've done to your engine.

Ta

Dave Stauffacher
1970 TR6 CP51649
Ramona, Ca

David,

I note form your post that your '70 Australian TR 6 PI runs a little rich
at
idle.  This may be due to the fact that you are using a PI system taken
from
a 2500 PI saloon?  If, as in my case, you have a carb car converted to PI,
the most likely source is to take a system from the 2500 sedan.  The sedans
were set to be richer at idle than the TR's due to their extra weight.  As
consequence, I had my metering unit recalibrated to TR5 specs and increased
the fuel at zero vacuum by a few cc's - that way I get additional "boost"
on
full throttle - works very well.  My TR 6 will spin to 7,000rpm without
problem, although it's definitely not standard!!!!

All the best,

John Mc
'71 TR6 PI
'76 Dolomite 1850