Re: A question for the readers at 6Pack

To: "Mike Brandon" <mbrandon0512@ROGERS.COM>
Subject: Re: A question for the readers at 6Pack
From: "Tom Di Iulio" <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 08:17:47 -0700
mike,
    i had my engine re-worked 3 yrs ago during the body-off
restoration. after shopping around quite a bit, first by phone and
then by foot, i brought the engine to a shop that had experience
with triumph motors. i think you'll find consensus that doing your
homework on the shops could be the most important step in the
whole process.
    contact local triumph or other car clubs and get their recommendations.
visit the shops and get a feeling for their work
and expertise. what kind of warranty do they offer? is the owner/shop mgr
willing to talk to you, answering all your questions? check these things
before to get a feel for how things might go if there's a problem in the
future.
    as for the engine work, i had the block decked, the heads cleaned up
with new valves, valve guides, springs, and pushrods. the original rockers
were re-used. the block was steamed and inspected for stress. the cylinders
were honed (not bored as the engine only had 46k on it), new rings on the
pistons, new bearings, crank was turned and inspected, cam was inspected and
deemed ok, and all new gaskets were used.
    by allowing the shop to re-assemble it rather than me, i was able to get
a 1 yr warranty on the work and it only cost me an add'l $200.
my total cost on the job was $1900. the owner even agreed to not start the
"warranty clock" until i had the engine back in the car and running, which
was about 6 mos later.
    so far, so good on the engine a few years later. looking back, i
would've liked to have assembled the engine myself, but i wouldn't have
gotten the warranty and that made it worthwhile.
    hope this helps......
Tom Di Iulio
1976 TR6
Denver, Co