RE: 30 degree valve seats and 3 angle valve grid

To: "'Don Malling'" <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: RE: 30 degree valve seats and 3 angle valve grid
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 07:49:53 -0800
        Don:

        We are starting to get into areas on which I am less studied.
I would imagine that a 3 angle would wear faster than a simple
45 degree valve seat. I couldn't guess how much less durable.
        A 30 degree seat would obviously offer tradeoffs just
like everything else. A slightly larger port perhaps, but a
sharper corner on one edge of the valve seat. Don't know if this
would be a net gain or a net loss in performance.
        Yes, a 3 angle valve job on a 30 degree seat would be
xx-30-yy. I don't know what would work best. I am sure everybody
has their favorite recipe.
        If you are really worried about the durability, have the
machinist install hardened seats for the exhaust. The rest of the
car will turn into a pile of tiny rust chips long before the seat
wears out.

        Cheers,

        Vance

1974 Mimosa Yellow Triumph TR6