Re: Differential

To: twgeiger@hiwaay.net
Subject: Re: Differential
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 16:04:52 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 6 Dec 2002 twgeiger@hiwaay.net wrote:

> Does this mean you can install an early pinion gear and matching ring
> gear in a late model differential casing and use the early solid
> spacer?

Yes, in fact you'll be hard pressed to find a late-style pinion/ring gear
set anyway. The early gears fit the late case.

The only difference is that the bearing preload is done with shims on the
early diffs and with the collapsible spacer on the later diffs.

> Are there any
> other parts that have to be changed? (Pinion bearing, pinion yoke, etc.)

Well, if you are replacing a ring/pinion, I'll go out on a limb and assume
that you've broken something. In that case, it is always prudent to
replace the bearings...

What's the pinion yoke?

> Terry Geiger
> '74 TR6 Mimosa Yellow daily driver

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |