Pilot bush update & trans conversion

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pilot bush update & trans conversion
From: "John Reynolds" <JohnTempe8@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:24:15 -0700
Thanks for the help on how to remove the Pilot bush from the flywheel.  It
does come out from the engine side.  After struggling to remove the bolts I
was gently prying on the flywheel to remove it when the thought struck me, "
I wonder how heavy this thing is....."  as the thought completed itself,
down comes the flywheel(of course I'm laying on my back under the car) just
missing my finger by a .000001"!   The bush fell out by itself!

I've completed the conversion with the help of Herman's kit.  I used a 1985
Celica transmission of unknown mileage.  I also installed the plastic cover
from TRF.  Very straight forward job.  Excellent instructions  by Herman.
The worst part of the job was installing the tunnel cover bolts!
Smother, quieter and no more hypoid burning off the exhaust pipe.

I did a rpm comparison before/after but had speedometer work done after the
conversion so I don't know if the data is accurate:

Triumph Trans                                            Celica Trans
50 mph          4th gear-3000                     4th gear-3500
55 mph                      -3400                                  -3900
60 mph                      -3600                                  -4200
65 mph                      -3800                                  -4600
5th gear   3500
70mph                       -4300
                         -3800
75
                               -4200
80mph                       -4900
                          -4400

Please don't take these figures as gospel, there were variables ie road
grade, traffic, my teenage son taking notes, etc.  The new trans is however
geared lower that the Triumph trans in 1st through 4th.  The car seems
peppier and although I didn't anticipate that I like it.  Freeway driving is
much better with less vibration,noise and "better" acceleration.  I've only
had the chance to put less than 100 miles on the car since I finished but am
very satisfied. Contact me if you have any questions.   Also I have NFI in
this, just a satisfied customer.

John