RE: over-steer, under-steer, neutral steer...thoughts,

To: "Simms, Bruce CIC" <BSimms@cicorp.sk.ca>
Subject: RE: over-steer, under-steer, neutral steer...thoughts,
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:21:58 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Simms, Bruce CIC wrote:

> Good thread.  I see where Bob Lang has ADDCO front & rear sway bars.  I
> presume these are the off the shelf and non adjustable model.

I have Addco's on the street car. They are not adjustable.

I have GoodParts front and rear on the race car. They are very nice. In
the dry I run them rear pretty close to as stiff as possible. I always
forget to soften things when it rains. This leads to interesting
end-swapping sessions from time to time.

The Goodparts bars are awesome because besides changing the rate you can
also change the "preload" by altering the length of the attachment bars.

FWIW, the one thing that I wish all the rear bar setups offered was an
"above the frame" mount, because if you drive your TR6 on the road with
the ones that hang under, you will quickly understand how little ground
clearance is available to your... in the case of the Addco bar, you will
out of necessity know the nuts and bolts isle of the local hardware store
where you will be obtaining replacement bolts after you bottom the thing
out on a curb or whatever... The real race car nount the bar above the
frame, but they have to run the bar through the boot to do this... totally
impractical for a street car!

> I've been cautioned by several vendors that simply adding the rear bar to
> perform well under most conditions is difficult for a road car. They hinted
> that its one of those things that racers tune to track conditions. They
> suggested that a larger than stock front bar only could be the way to go for
> the upgraded road car.  Some folks gave up on the rear bar in frustration.

Don't add a 3/4" rear bar without upgrading the front bar too! If you do,
you will change the handling from mild understeer (all things considered)
to slightly more than mild oversteer. It's okay for some drivers but will
be a handful for most drivers.

Folks that give up on the rear bar generally fall into the category of
drivers that try to muscle the car  a bit too much. When you toss a car
with the rear bar, you will pick up the inside rear wheel (particularly
the right rear) and you will lose some drive. The real experts can turn in
more smooothly and are able to apply some left foot brake to reduce the
wheelspin.

I like the rear bar because it really helps reduce body roll, both my cars
corner pretty "flat", with the race car winning out owing to the much
stiffer springs (TTune 490's front and TTune 620's in the back).

> I've Spax adjustable front to install, tube shock conversion, TRF Spring
> upgrades f/r  (not Goodparts) to install, and polys all round either
> installed or to come.

Sounds like fun!

> Comments?
>
> Thank You, Bruce Simms CF1941UO

Regards,
rml
CF14111U and CR1871UO
p.s. Laing was that drummer for the band Mountain (aka Corky Laing). I'm
just Lang.
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |