Re: Cam question at Triumph 2000 Web page

To: dmallin@attglobal.net
Subject: Re: Cam question at Triumph 2000 Web page
From: "Shane Ingate" <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 20:49:42 -0500
Don Malling wrote:

>Integral says TR5 is 269 duration is
>http://www.integralcams.com/tr-250_tr-6.htm
>Elgin says the TR5 is 269.
>
>Shane's page says the early TR6 is 280 (that would be TR5 No?) and later
>TR6 is 256.
>
>Maybe Shane could tell us where he got his info on the early TR6/TR5
>cam?

Sorry about the late response; I read the digest and then I had to figure
out
where I got these numbers!

They came from the Moss (UK)/TriumphTune "Performance Manual".  Here, only
the open/close angles are given, and then I calculated the duration assuming
the
cam is symmetrical.  This is a safe assumption as asymetrical profiles were
not used in mass-produced cars in the '60s and '70s.

Is Moss (UK) correct?  Is Elgin/Integral correct?  Who knows?  For giggles
I'll
profile my old (original) cam next weekend and let y'all know.

Shane Ingate in Maryland

PS  This weekend I futzed with the rear disk bracket for Rags, making a note
that I'll
need longer wheel studs.  Also blasted the transmission/O-D case ready to
have it
powder-coated.  Damn this alloy is porous, as oil spots started showing on
the casting
just hours after I finished the blasting!