Re: Winter Engine Project

To: Tom Di Iulio <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>, <DarcyHunt@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Winter Engine Project
From: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 09:02:43 -0500
Tom,

I had forgotten about this, and a good point you made.  About 15 years ago,
I made the same mistake on my Moto Guzzi Le Mans; I popped in new rings
(motor was 120,000+ miles), and the first time I revved it hard, the rod
stretched enough that the top ring caught on the ledge.  Do you think the
ring broke?  Noooooo.  It broke the landing on the piston.  Well, I needed
the excuse for the 1100cc kit!

So, Darcy, I would suggest driving the car as is until you can get the
pennies together for the rebuild.

Shane Ingate in Maryland