Re: Can you explain these holes?

To: "Ronald A. Dowty" <rdowty@dowtyenterprises.com>
Subject: Re: Can you explain these holes?
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 12:43:54 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 29 Dec 2002, Ronald A. Dowty wrote:

> I was stripping down my drivers side door panel and noticed a there was
> something a little different going on in the lower forward section of
> the door. To my suprise I found for holes that had some sort of plastic
> anchor left in it. Apparrently these were sanded flush and bondo'd and
> painted over by the DPO. I have no ide why the holes were there. there
> doesn't appear to be any signs of a dent being pulled out. The area
> around the holes is rather flat'ish though. Probably the bondo was used
> to round the area out a bit. I'm totally dumbfounded at what these are
> for. I don't think there were any factory emblems there. Anybody have
> any ideas?
>
> Follow link below for a picture.
> http://www.dowtyenterprises.com/images/DCP_0544.JPG

Hmmm. Looks like your car was the victim of a driveby shooting. Looks like
the shooter used a Mac-10 or other small bore semi-auto gun.

:-)

Seriously, it does look like there was some purposful bodywork done on
the car sometime in the past. Judging by the quality of the metal around
the holes, it looks like the damage was superficial and the remedial
action was done to a high standard.

Who knows what the original problem was. For that matter, maybe the door
skin was replaced and the new skin was marred. That's pretty common too.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |