Brake Servo Question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake Servo Question
From: Acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:50:26 -0500
Hi List...
Since my brake master cylinder was leaking, I have removed, inspected and
cleaned the mc up while waiting for a rebuild kit from TRF.  Got to thinking
about how awful the servo looked so removed it today and here is what I
discovered:
The mc leak had found its way inside the servo and was sloshing around.  I have
drained about 10 ounces of fluid from the servo via the non return valve.  I
hesitate to call the fluid that came out brake fluid, since it was a dark brown
and smells of gas and/or oil.(possible source the non return valve??)  I have
read the write-up on the buckeye triumphs website regarding the servo and
understand the difficulty in tearing apart the servo and further understand
that if necessary, I should send it out to be done.  My question is, has anyone
come across this problem in the past.  Is the fact that fluid has been inside
the servo likely to cause any problems in the future.  Although I would prefer
to pull the entire servo apart and clean it up, I can clean it up pretty well
without pulling it apart and then I could complete a minor servo rebuild.
Also, does anyone have any ideas on how to get the non-return valve off.  I
have tried to pull and twist and twist and pull with no success.  I dont want
to break it or cause any damage, so I havent use anything to try to pry it,
etc.(especially since it is made from plastic).
If anyone has been in this situation before, your advice on what you might have
done would be appreciated.  Also, before the repair work, the brakes worked and
felt fine.  Or, I should say, they appeared that way.  I have only ever driven
this TR6, so it is possible the brakes werent operating at an optimum level and
I didnt know the difference, but I believe that there wasnt any problems
previously.  I hope I have explained adequately.  Thanks in advance for any and
all assistance.
Aaron Cropley'71 CC63681Maine