Re: Redlines

To: dncullig@us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: Redlines
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 20:41:32 EDT
In a message dated 5/1/03 12:36:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dncullig@us.ibm.com writes:

> I agree.  There should be a strict "Vintage" class where you MUST use
> period tires
> (including the air in them), 35 year-old fluids (oil, gas, etc.), original
> hoses
> and wires, etc, etc.  I'd venture a guess that it'll be a rather exclusive
> class.
>
> Dennis Culligan / 1976 TR6 - CF57948U - TR6IUMPH
>
> PS.  ; - )

OK,
I guess I deserved that.  I suppose I just felt that someone had to defend
those poor old Michelin Redlines even if I knew I was going to get Flamed.
No kidding though at one time, like the autocross at the 1991 VTR in Ft
Mitchell, KY if you did not have the correct size tires on your car you were
bounced out of stock and into modified.  I can still remember the big uproar
from the guys cheating with big, OK good, rubber. It was total chaos!

In order to personally know the answer to this debate for sure it may be time
for me to chuck those redlines and go "modern"!  I have this set of Vintage 4
Spoke A/R's that I am thinking may look good on the 71.  Now I agree it would
be ridiculous to put redlines on those wheels.  Talk about a waste!  Sooooooo
--- What is the best Tire I can buy to prove you guy's theory?  I mean I want
the stickiest, best looking tire money can buy. I don't even care if they
have white letters. Hopefully they last only 10,000 miles and make me feared
on the autocross course.  If it doesn't work for me I can always go back to
my beloved Redlines and sell the A/R's with 205's on ebay for $2500 bucks.
Cheers,
Darrell