Re: Steering Wheel

To: bill@kcdoc.com (Bill Schroder)
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 12:26:35 -0700 (PDT)
Bill---I've done a few things to give more knee room, without changing
to an aftermarket 'wheel.
One was to reshape the throttle pedal by bending it down so my foot now
contacts the pedal more in the middle of its arc.
Next was to adjust the linkage interconnect so the pedal "starts" lower
when opening the carbs. (Still get full opening)
These two moves places the pedal about 3/4" below the brake pedal when
at rest.
Using three, two inch tall aluminum blocks, the steering wheel was
spaced closer to me, which moves it up the column in the process. This
then allows my knee to swing from the gas pedal to the brake pedal
without bending my leg sideways.

The last mod requires some artistry with the horn pad, as it will no
longer fit as one piece. The bolts that connect the steering wheel to
the column also needed to be longer than stock, by two inches.

Of course a wheel that's a couple of inches smaller in diameter would
work just as well, with a little more effort in turning it at low
speeds.

Dick