RE: speedo fixed, and a query

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: speedo fixed, and a query
From: Peter Zaborski <plz@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 23:32:40 -0600

Hi George,

I don't have a wheel for you but perhaps you might investigate the
possibility of using a min-spare from a newer vehicle. A while ago I saved a
list of wheel bolt patterns another owner posted and have been meaning to
see if a mini-spare might work for a TR6. However, since I have a regular
spare already, I'm not as, umm, motivated. If you are so inclined, here is
the list of cars which have the same bolt pattern as the TR6.

4 on 4-1/2
        Acura - Legend '86-'89
        Buick - Special '61-'63
        Chevrolet
            Corvair all 4-bolt
            Chevy II  all 4-bolt
            Sprint '85-'87
            Nova ('61-'70)
        Datsun/Nissan - most models to '89
        Dodge Colt '79-'88
        Dodge Colt (early)
        Ford
            Mustang all '65-'68 4-bolt
            Falcon, Maverick, Granada all 4-bolt
        Mazda - 626, RX7 '83-'87  ????
        MGA, MGB, MGC
        Olds - F-85 '61-'63
        Plymouth - Arrow, Sapporo '79-'88
        SAAB all      ???
        SAAB - 900 to '87
        Toyota - most exc. MR2 and P.U. to '89
        Triumph TR 1..6

I'm guessing a self serve junk yard will have a lot of these cars with
mini-spares in stock for cheap. Note that the offset may not be the same but
for a spare which will be used for a short distance, this may not be an
issue (I think, perhaps someone will correct me).

Another consideration is that the TR6 tire is very tall, I'm not sure a
mini-spare will handle the height correctly. Again, the short distance might
make this a minor issue.

One benefit from using the mini-spare (apart from some weight loss) is the
increased storage space in the spare wheel compartment.

If you do pursue this, I'm sure many of us would be curious what your
findings are.

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO