RE: history check

To: "'Daniel Farris'" <danielfarris@charter.net>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: history check
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 08:15:10 -0500
The Carfax and Experian databases only work on the "modern" VIN numbers that
were standardized sometime in the 70s (I think). As far as I know, there's
no other way to perform a vehicle history.

However, my default is to assume that ALL sports cars of that vintage have
unknown mileage UNLESS the owner has documentation to the contrary. I am
highly suspicious of all these 30-year-old cars on E-Bay with 62,000 miles
on them.

I was close once to buying a Porsche 928 with low miles on E-Bay. Did a
Carfax check and found out that 60,000 miles had disappeared several owners
ago. I felt bad for the current owner, because he probably didn't know - the
Carfax showed that the missing mileage didn't happen on his watch, and he'd
bought the car from a dealer who certified the mileage as accurate (and the
dealer probably didn't know unless he ran his own Carfax check, since it
didn't happen on his watch, either).

Actually, the whole thing got me my 15 minutes of fame - interviewed by a
Washington TV station on the virtues of Carfax.

Graham