Re: Removing engine

To: kenowens@mchsi.com (Ken Owens)
Subject: Re: Removing engine
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 23:39:43 -0700 (PDT)
Ken---Some common hoists use the steel cable with a ratcheting pawl to
lift and lower the engine. The cable has a hook at the end that will fit
a chain, usually provided with the hoist, for compatability. The trick
here is to find the right chain link for the hook, to get the proper
engine tilt. This might be two or three links forward of the chain's
center. For sure, we don't want the connection to change (arbitrarily),
unless we manually release and reposition. My vote is for the chain.

There are tools marketed that allows for tilt in mid-process of engine
removal. Looks like just the ticket when removing various engine types
with different balance points. Not much need of this, once you find this
point on the TR, with and without the transmission attached. (I marked
mine with paint, having done this both ways) It's a really close call at
the grill to remove both together.

Dick