Re: 'J'-Type questions -- Possible Problem

To: "Triumph 6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 'J'-Type questions -- Possible Problem
From: "Ken Davis" <ken.davis@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 16:34:18 -0700
Hi List,

The saga continues...   Spent most of today looking for a 'thin'
1-inch wrench (spanner to me!) to take the solenoid off; finally
found one that was a tight fit, but it did work.    Used carbie
cleaner on the unit to blow out all the passages, and wiped it clean
and hooked it up to the battery.   It got quite warm, maybe even hot
after an hour or so.  I disconnected the power, and the plunger DID
NOT return to position.  Cooled down about 15 minutes, a quick touch
of power, and it went up/down appropriately.  Left it connected, 30
minutes later, same problem; the plunger did not return, let it cool
and it did.

So, I think I've found my faulty component, the solenoid.  The
failure under letting it get hot mimicked the driving problem of the
other day, so I'm pretty certain I have isolated  it.   Gonna check
out my jag/TR6 man tomorrow morning, see if he has one laying around
that I can use or at least test, to see if the same non-return issue
can be duplicated.

Will put it back in tonight; and not hook up the OD, so it'll be
driveable whilst I try to find a  new part.

Such is the life of an LBC-lover.

Thanks to everyone who responded directly; your input was most
helpful and gave me a certain confidence as I attacked another
annoying little problem.

Ken

73 TR6
87 XJ6